Saturday, October 25, 2008

Growing up

Parents are usually over protective over their children especially special ones. My Auni is 8 yo and she is a special child. Even now, she needs helps with her daily chores. She is still learning to comb her hair or even brushing her teeth. She cant pronounce properly and currently is undergoing speech theraphy at the child phsychitarist on how to pronouce certain words such as "k", "s" and "r".
Early last month, my hubby called me at the office; "Cikgu Auni tanya whether we can allow her to join the school trip to Terengganu or not." My first reaction was .."NO!" She's too small.. It's too far...She wont be able to managed herself..blah..blah..blah..So we said no to her teacher..
When I reached home that night, she was all smiling, Auni nak pi Terengganu dengan kawan-kawan...So, I told her, "Not this round Auni..Nanti kita pi duduk kat hotel di Terengganu cuti sekolah ni, ok?" Her face changed..She refused to talk, to eat or even sleep...I noticed that she was crying silently...
It broke my heart to see her that way..So, I called her teacher asking about the trip..It seems that all her friends will be going..and not to mentioned almost all her teachers as well...A teacher will took care of 2 students each..Well, that should be a relief..After some discussion with the hubby, we decided to let her go...
It was indeed a very difficult decision to make..But the teacher told me something which opened up my mind..These special children are really special in thier own ways but we had to let them grow by letting them go. They need to learn to survived themselves. These were the main reasons why her class had organised this trip..to see how they can managed without their parents around....
Sometimes, no matter how hard it feels to let go of your kids, it is actually the only way to let them matured and be who they chose to be in order to survive later in life...Life experiences are precious and the only way to get it, is by trying and going through the ups and downs of life itselfs.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alahai mama Auni, quite a sad one then. No wonder my wife said "no" when kindergaten wanna have a trip to Zoo Taiping and my eldest daughter wanted to go.
Mungkin bagi ibu2, anak2 akan sentiasa kecil di hati mereka.
I luv my mak.

Ibunim said...

Hi Capt,
Definitely..Our children will always be our precious LITTLE ones even when they are 40 yo..